RSS

Thank You Ma'am

“Thank you Ma'am" by Langston Hughes is a fictional third person narrative. I honestly believe that this is a wonderful story.
Roger is a young boy that doesn't have a father figure to guide him though his adolescent life. Roger has nobody to tell him what to do and when to do it..The author just simply showed us how life is when you don’t have your parents around you to guide you from the right path.It made me come up to a realization on how unfair life is.I myself is lucky enough to have my parents with me to show me what’s right and what is wrong.Roger lived an awful life on the streets.What he sees is right and will satisfy his pleasure is what he often does.At a young age the people around him already has influenced him and blinded him the truth.Those people who are fond of stealing and lying. A person who is raised like Roger has a tendency to only do the right thing when someone is watching.

        The author used setting to show the theme. “‘It was about eleven o’clock at night and she was alone” The setting tells us that  nobody is around to see the boy steal the pocketbook. This part of the setting shows how there is nobody watching.It was dark so Roger was confident enough to steal the pocketbook  from the lady.

I enjoyed the climax best out of Thank You Ma'm because it was very surprising. I was eager to find out the turning point of the story. For example,after an character name Roger stole Ms. Luella bates Washington Jone's purse she took him to her home and allowed him to wash his face and get something to eat. This was very surprising to me because I thought that she was going to send him to jail, but instead she treated him really nice and gave him something that he needed.

Equally important to why I like the climax best out of Thank You Ma'm is because the way Luella Bates Washington Jones acts. She reminds me of my grandmother. The way she reacted in that situation is in a way that my grandmother would have. She would be strict at first but later on lighten up and be nice. I like that about Thank You Ma'm because it has a realistic feel. It allows you to compare what a real person would do if a problem like that occurred in someones regular life.

        It was very interesting. I liked how the author made Luella Bates Washington Jone's character come out to be nice and caring. It was almost like her type of character was not meant to be that way, but Langston Hughes pulled it off so good that Luella Bates Washington Jones fitted perfectly into the story. The way she handled the Roger situation was unbelievable.

When she gave him the money at the end, he was delighted and managed to say, “Thank you, m’am.”   In my opinion, she does this as a way to teach him a lesson.   The lesson in this case may be that if you are in search of something you want, stealing is not a good decision, and that there are people out there to help you.
These examples are just true for this story this is true for everyday life like you always chose what you want and always think of the consequence that what happened of the choice that you are going to make and the things that you already made. The lesson this story portrayed was doing the right thing even when no one is looking.

          Mrs.Jones are just one of the people that are rare to find.She might be poor like the others but she always does things the right way and she’s always out there to offer her hands to those who needs her.


I loved the story Thank You Ma'm. It was very surprising, realistic, and interesting. It actually made me think about my life and how to treat people with love and respect.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment